What is Body Pillow for Pregnancy & Why Do You Need One?
Usually by the second trimester, most pregnant women begin to experience discomfort and difficulty getting a good nights rest. As your belly continues to grow, so does the difficulty in getting a good nights rest. At this point most learn that the answer to these challenges is a pregnancy body pillow.
With so many pregnancy body pillows on the market however how do you know what is the best body pillow for pregnancy?
Types of Pregnancy Pillows
There are 3 types you can choose between pregnancy pillows and these are:
J, C, or U, Which Pillow Type is Right For You?
Body pillows come in three main styles which correspond to the shape of the Pillow. There is the J-shaped Pillow, the C-shaped Pillow, and the U-shaped pillow. Depending on type of sleeper you are or the sleeping challenges you are currently facing, one style of pillow may be a better fit for you than the other. Below we’ll outline the benefits of each style of pillow and show you the top-rated pillows for each style.
The U-Shaped Pregnancy Body Pillow
Back & Front Support Without Compromise: U-shaped pregnancy pillows have two equally long sides which allows Moms-to-be to completely surround themselves in the pillow. Unlike it’s J-shaped and C-shaped counterparts, the U-shaped pillow doesn’t require moms to make a choice of which side of their body they would like to provide support to. The two long arms of U-shaped pillows allows Moms to provide support to their neck, arms, belly, and legs while at the same time providing adequate support for their back.
Are U-Shaped Body Pillows Right for You?
Here are the benefits of the U-Shaped Body Pillow:
- U-shaped pillows provide the necessary head, neck, back, and belly support to prevent the body aches and pains many moms-to-be suffer when trying to use a traditional pillow.
- U-shaped pillows provide true full body support and allow you to provide uncompromised support to both your belly and back
- If you normally toss from side to side at night, you will Not need to completely readjust a U-shaped pillow which will help you to have a more comfortable nights sleep.
The C-Shaped Pregnancy Body Pillow
The “C” stands for Contoured & Comfort: C-Shaped pregnancy pillows are one of the top purchased pregnancy pillow styles. The curved and contoured design wraps around Moms-to-be to provide support for the neck, head, tummy, and legs. The ability of this design to prevent neck and back pain as well as other conditions like sciatica and heartburn have made it a favorite for many Moms.
Are C-Shaped Body Pillows Right for You?
Here are the benefits of the C-Shaped Body Pillow:
- The C-shaped body pillow’s contoured design wraps around moms to provide neck, back, leg, and hip support and prevents the body aches and pains experienced by many Moms using standard pillows.
- The C-shaped body pillow provides a more snug fit to the body and a loose natural sleep feel. If being completely surrounded by a pillow doesn’t sound comforting to you then the C-shaped style may be a better fit for you than the U-Shaped pillow.
- C-shaped body pillows serve as excellent feeding pillows post-pregnancy so the life of the pillow extends beyond pregnancy.
The J-Shaped Pregnancy Body Pillow
For more Freedom and Flexibility: Leachco All Nighter Total Body PillowJ-Shaped pregnancy pillows offer a lot of freedom and flexibility in how you position the pillow to get the best sleep for you. These pillows have a straight long arm and a J shaped hook on one end of the pillow. The better designed J-shaped body pillows make the long section of the pillow very flexible so that it can be bent, curved, and positioned in the direction you need it to support your body. Many are flexible enough that you can bend them to mimic the “U” and “C” shapes as well. For those Moms that would prefer to have most of their body free, and not surrounded by the pillow, but still maintain the ability to position the pillow to support their head, neck, and tummy, the J-shaped pillow would be a good choice.
Are J-Shaped Body Pillows Right for You?
Here are the benefits of the J-Shaped Body Pillow:
- J-Shaped body pillows allow you to properly support your head, belly, and legs to prevent back pain, stiffness in the neck, indigestion and many other issues experienced by Moms-to-be.
- J-Shaped body pillows have a flexible design that allow you to bend and position the pillow to support the areas you need to get a comfortable nights sleep.
- For Mom’s that would prefer not to be surrounded or wrapped in their body pillow, the J-shaped pillow is a great option to provide the required support while still allowing their body to be free and clear.
Best Body Pillow for Pregnancy in the Market
Leachco Snoogle Original Maternity/Pregnancy Total Body Pillow Review
The Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow is one of the most purchased pregnancy pillows on the market and based on our assessment and the feedback we’ve received, it’s with good reason.
The Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow features a patented full-body design that resolves the issue of having to use multiple pillows to try to get a comfortable nights sleep. The Snoogle Total Body Pillow provides back support at night to eliminate lower back pain and sciatica. You can also tuck the Snoogle between your knees which allows it to cradle your tummy and keep your head elevated to help with breathing problems.
- The full body design supports your back, neck, and belly to relieve you from the body pains associated with sleeping with traditional pillows.
- The Snoogle’s contoured design helps to prevent heartburn and lower back problems.
- Maintenance is pretty easy because it comes with a custom cover that can be removed and easily washed.
- After your pregnancy many Moms have reported that they still use it regularly as a feeding pillow.
- As what seems to be the case with all full body pregnancy pillows the size of the pillow is the reported disadvantage. The pillow takes up a lot more space than a traditional pillow.
- Users wish there were more stylish Snoogle replacement cover options available. Most of the covers are very plain.
Leachco Back ‘N Belly Pregnancy/Maternity Contoured Body Pillow Review
The Back N Belly Body Pillow by Leachco is another best seller in the Leachco maternity pillow product line. This pillow is a favorite for Moms-to-be that don’t want to have to chose between full support for their back and full support for their belly.
The Leachco Back N Belly Body Pillow is designed for moms-to-be that have a difficult time finding a comfortable position at night. Moms can now get a good nights rest and get up in the morning without all of the pains and aches. The large, U shaped Leachco Back N Belly Body Pillow, has two full-length contoured sides so you are able to sleep on your back or on either side of your body, put the pillow between your legs, and raise your head all with this single pillow.
- The true total body contoured design provides support for your entire body and eliminates back, neck, and leg pains when you wake up each morning.
- The unique dual full length front and back design allows you to provide support for both your back and belly at the same time. It also works great for those that turn a lot at night as you don’t have to readjust the pillow when turning from side to side as you do with some of the traditional cuts.
- The pillow design helps to alleviate other common sleep issues like heartburn, nasal congestion, and sciatica.
- As maternity and pregnancy pillows are full body pregnancy pillows the size of the pillow is almost always reported as a disadvantage. These pillows takes up much more space than a standard pillow.
- Some Moms-t0-be actually prefer the traditional cut pregnancy pillow where both sides of the pillow are not the same length. They prefer to not be enclosed in the pillow. This is just a matter of what your preference is.
Moonlight Comfort-U Total Body Pregnancy Support Pillow Review
The Moonlight Comfort-U Body Pillow was designed by a registered nurse and features a unique over-sized full body U shaped design. This is a true full body pregnancy pillow designed to provide support to both sides of your body at night. With each side of this pillow measuring in at 5 feet 4 inches long, you can truly lose yourself from head to toe inside this pillow.
Jean Kelly created the Comfort-U Body Pillow when she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a condition that causes chronic muscle and joint pain. The Comfort-U Body Pillow was therefore designed to provide support for your entire body regardless of whether you were laying on your right side, left side, or back. The length of this pillow allows you to stretch out your body from whatever position you are in and still have the support that you need. It also is designed to keep your body in perfect alignment to reduce back pain and get a more restful sleep.
- The full length U-shaped covers you entirely and support your head, neck, back, tummy, and legs which prevents you from waking up with body and muscle pains.
- The shape of this pillow is flexible in sleeping positions so finding the exact position that works for you while still maintaining the proper support for your entire body.
- The full U shape of the pillow allows you to turn from one side to the other at night without having to move or readjust the pillow which is common with the standard J shaped pregnancy pillow.
- While the size of this pillow is one of its biggest advantages, its also one of its biggest disadvantages. This pillow takes up a good amount of space in the bed. This is pretty common and is the main issue raised with all full length pregnancy pillows.
- The price of this pillow is higher than the standard J shaped pregnancy pillow and other U shaped pillow. Many users have reported however that this pillow is worth the added cost for the extra support, flexibility, and the comfort of the Fusion fiber filling.
Leachco All Nighter Pregnancy/Maternity Total Body Pillow Review
The Leachco All Nighter Total Body Pillow is a hybrid pregnancy body pillow with a unique multiple shape design. Leachco has taken their experience with their other top selling body pillows to design one that provides both full body support and comfort to a wide range of sleepers.
The Leachco All Nighter Total Body Pillow was designed by a registered nurse to help Moms-to-be avoid the neck stiffness, back pain, leg swelling, and indigestion that can occur when pregnant. This pillow has a J-style “candy cane” design which allows you to provide support for your neck, back, legs, hips, and belly with this single pillow. This pillow is also unique in that it has three different contoured shapes which are targeted to provide support where needed. It provides a lot of flexibility in positioning the pillow to the most comfortable position while also maintaining the proper support to avoid aches and pains when you awake in the morning.
- The full body J-shaped design of the pillow provides support from head to legs and prevents stiff necks, back pains, leg pains, indigestion, and fibromyalgia.
- The unique three contoured shapes within the pillow’s design provides a lot of flexibility for different sleeping positions and styles while still providing the appropriate level of body support.
- This pillow is often used as a nursing pillow post-pregnancy.
- Mom’s have reported that the Leachco All Nighter Total Body Pillow takes up a lot of space in the bed. This is commonly reported for all full body pregnancy pillows.
- Several Mom’s have reported difficulties with putting the pillow cover back on after they take it off for washing.
- Some Mom’s have reported that the material of the pillow case is slightly rough and could be improved.
Dreamgenii Pregnancy Support & Feeding Pillow Review
The DreamGenii Maternity Support Pillow has won awards and was a best selling maternity pillow in the U.K. This pillow is now being sold throughout the U.S. and has made several new fans in the states. This pillow was designed by Vanessa Blake. She was looking for a maternity pillow that provided the required support she needed without taking up too much space in her bed. Until today this is one of the benefits Moms-to-be like about this maternity pillow.
While pregnant with her first son, Vanessa Blake tried several different maternity pillows but was unable to find one that would allow her to get a good nights sleep. That’s when she decided to design one on her own. The Dreamgenii maternity support pillow was designed to allow moms-to-be to position themselves in the optimal sleeping position. The Dreamgenii encourages you to sleep on the left side of your body in the recovery position as recommended by doctors once you reach your second trimester. This can also encourage the baby to get in the optimum position for birth. One of the other goals of the Dreamgenii maternity support pillow, and what sets it apart from other maternity pillows, is it is designed to simultaneously provide proper support to your back, belly, and legs without being so large that it takes up most of your bed. Vanessa wanted a pillow that would allow her to sleep in the recommended position, avoid the second trimester body aches, but at the same time allow enough room even in a smaller bed that your husband did not have to compete for space.
- The DreamGenii helps Moms-to-be avoid the back pains, neck pain, and body aches that pregnant moms begin to experience around their second trimester.
- The number one complaint for full body maternity pillows is that they take up a lot of space in the bed. The DreamGenii’s compact design provides full body support without taking up too much real estate in the bed.
- The slimmed down size of this maternity pillow makes it very easy to adjust at night and also makes it very easy to take along when traveling.
- The DreamGenii doubles as an excellent feeding pillow so you will get good use out of it well beyond pregnancy.
- While the compact design is considered a benefit by the Moms that love this pillow, some moms felt the size was too small to provide the amount of support they wanted, especially when placed between the legs.
- Some Moms like that they can still use their standard pillow for their head along with the DreamGenii Pillow. For Moms that preferred the benefits of using a single pillow, and eliminating the need for additional pillows, they felt this pillow didn’t fully meet that need.
Boppy Slipcovered Total Body Pregnancy Pillow Review
Boppy made a name for themselves with their signature C-shaped feeding pillow that offered Moms a comfortable way to nurse and bond with their newborn child. The Boppy Total Body Pillow is specially designed for the comfort of Moms-to-be prior to the arrival of their bundle of joy.
The Boppy Total Body Pillow was created to help Moms-to-be alleviate the body pains that are experienced as your pregnancy progresses. This pillow will help you to avoid the back, neck, and leg pains that most pregnant Moms begin to experience usually in their second trimester. The Boppy Total Body Pillow allows you to provide support to your head and neck and also allows you to tuck it between your legs to provide support for your legs and hips. This pillow is shorter in length than most pregnancy body pillows so it easy to reposition for those that turn throughout the night. Its easier to adjust this single pillow than to try to adjust multiple standard pillows that most moms begin to utilize as it becomes more difficult to sleep at night.
- The Boppy body pillow’s contoured design allows Moms-to-be to support their head, neck, and legs with this single pillow. This will allow you to avoid body and muscle pains that many Moms experience with a standard pillow.
- This pillow is shorter in length than the standard pregnancy body pillow so many Moms that turn at night find it easier to adjust to just the right position and easier to move if you need to change positions in the night.
- Maintenance of the pillow is easy as it comes with a removable cotton slipcover that can easily be removed and washed.
- While the Boppy Total Body Pillow is shorter in length than most full body pillows, it still takes up a lot more space in the bed than a traditional pillow. This is reported for most full body pregnancy pillows.
- Many older users of this pillow reported that the pillow did not have enough filling. Boppy seems to have addressed this concern and we are no longer seeing reports of issues with too little filling in this pillow.
- Some taller Moms have reported that the shorter length of this pillow made it less effective for them however others have reported it worked well.